Pestilence In biblical prophecy, have been mentioned, highlighting the significance of these events and their potential impact on society. God has been known to send pestilence to those who walk in disobedience. This article aims to explore these biblical prophecies regarding pestilences, their relevance in today’s world, and the lessons we can learn from them.
Pestilence in the Bible
1. Exodus 9:14-15:
In this passage, God warns Pharaoh of Egypt through Moses about the impending plague of pestilence as a consequence of his refusal to release the Israelites from slavery.
2. Deuteronomy 28:21-22:
This passage is part of the blessings and curses pronounced by Moses upon the Israelites. It mentions that if they disobey God’s commandments, He will send upon them “extraordinary plagues and illnesses, and severe and lingering diseases.”
3. 2 Chronicles 21:14-15:
This passage describes how God afflicted King Jehoram of Judah with a severe disease that caused his bowels to come out, resulting in his death. The text refers to this affliction as a “great sickness” or “incurable disease.”
4. Jeremiah 14:12:
In this verse, the prophet Jeremiah conveys God’s message to the people of Judah, warning them that if they persist in their disobedience, He will send sword, famine, and pestilence upon them.
5. Pestilence In biblical prophecy: Revelations 6:8
The Bible contains numerous prophecies that warn of pestilences and diseases as signs of the end times. In the book of Revelation, for example, it is mentioned that during the tribulation period, there will be plagues and diseases that will afflict humanity. Revelation 6:8, the opening of the fourth seal reveals a pale horse, and its rider is named Death, with Hades following him. They are given authority over a fourth of the earth to kill with sword, famine, pestilence, and wild beasts.
God will heal us of Our diseases
After all, God said that He will forgive us and heal us of our diseases if we repent. Below are a few scriptures that highlight God’s promise to forgive and heal us:
1. Psalm 103:2-3: “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases.” This psalm emphasizes God’s forgiveness and healing, highlighting His compassion and willingness to restore and heal His people.
2. Exodus 15:26: In this verse, God declares to the Israelites, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, your healer.” This passage reveals God’s promise to protect His people from diseases if they remain faithful and obedient to Him.
3. 2 Chronicles 7:14: This verse states, “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” Here, God assures His people that if they repent and seek Him, He will forgive their sins and bring healing to their land, which can include physical healing from diseases.
4. James 5:14-15: In the New Testament, James instructs believers, “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.” This passage encourages believers to seek prayer and anointing for healing, with the assurance that God will forgive sins and bring about physical healing.
Pestilence can be removed: Numbers 16:47-48 “And Aaron took as Moses commanded and ran into the midst of the congregation; and behold, the plague was begun among the people: and he put on incense and made an atonement for the people. And he stood between the dead and the living; and the plague stayed.”
These verses highlight God’s willingness to forgive sins and bring healing to His people. They emphasize the importance of repentance, faith, and seeking God’s presence and guidance in times of sickness and disease. It is important to note that while God’s healing is often manifested in physical restoration, it can also encompass emotional, spiritual, and relational healing.
The warnings of pestilence in biblical prophecy are highly relevant in today’s world, as we witness the global impact of infectious diseases. The recent outbreaks of malaria, H5N1, swine flu, and monkeypox are reminiscent of how biblical prophecies serve as a warning to mankind to repent of their sin and turn to God before death and destruction occurs.